Thursday, April 28, 2011

Easy Spider Web Top DONE!!!

I haven't said much, but I've been working away on the Easy Spider Web Top, from Quilter's Cache. It's a free paper pieced pattern, so check it out!



I'll be honest. The blocks were easy, even FUN to make! And, putting together the rows weren't horrid.....but when it came to assembling the top. Oh my! This one almost got my goat.




Because there are biased edges once the blocks are trimmed, you really can't remove the paper until those biased seams have been sewn.


I removed a lot of paper as I went along, because it's impossible to get a large quilt with paper backing under your sewing machine foot without it pulling. It was like a tug of war. And, a couple of times I caved and walked away.

I would wait a couple of hours, over night and finally went two days before going back into the sewing room to finish it up.

Once I was done with the top, I knew I would have to leave the rest of the paper on the quilt edges unless I finished the top with a border. I really don't have room to store a quilt that has all that extra thickness from the paper. I thought about it and thought about it and then looked at the pattern page again. Marica Hohn had already thought this one out for me. I chose to use the border she shows on the pattern page.

It's scrappy and pieced and frames the quilt well. And, it wasn't hard, well, not really....but since I made my border really scrappy it took a few hours to cut and sew. I had to do the math myself since directions weren't posted for the border. Those corners had me thinking for about 20 minutes.

Now the top is done.


And, I can now begin the process of removing the last of the papers from the back around the edge of the quilt. It turned out well, but it almost ate my lunch. I think it might be a while before I make another paper pieced bed sized quilt....well, maybe.

Happy Quilting!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 comments:

Heartsdesire said...

Paula, your finished quilt is fabulous. Well worth the time and effort that it took to get it finished. I've always liked the look of a spider-web quilt but have never tried paper piecing. Perhaps I'll be inspired by yours.

Rhonda said...

So to clarify, was the quilt named "easy spider quilt" or overall, you are saying it is easy...It does not sound easy to me but it looks great! The colors swirling around make the quilt come alive. Great job Paula!

suemac said...

I am getting ready to do some string quilt blocks for a Quiltsville exchange. Hopefully those will be equally easy to put together.

Quiet Quilter said...

As one who has never paper pieced, I have learned to start small from your experience.

But it turned out lovely and now that it is over, hopefully you will agree that it was worth the hassle..thank goodness you could walk away for awhile..

Conni said...

What a great quilt! I have wanted to make one, so I went and printed off the papers and I'm taking it to a retreat I'm going to in a few weeks! Hoping it will make a dent in the scrap piles!!

Diane said...

It turned out beautiful! The one I made was out of 30's fabrics and it wasn't nearly as big. I like yours better! Good Job!!

Material Mary said...

Oh it is so lovely. Can't wait to finish mine. It is on the back burner because I have way too many irons in the fire. Must get back. Must finish...
Mary

WhiteStone said...

I intensely dislike paper-piecing and removing the papers afterwards! You are a Brave Quilting Soul! lol

Quilt looks lovely.

Karen said...

Your Spider Web quilt is beautiful. I love the scrappy look (my favorite). I hadn't seen the Quilter's Cache paper pieced pattern but I have started one with this Quiltville pattern http://quiltville.com/spiderweb.shtmltype. You have inspired me to get back to work on it. Thanks for sharing your lovely work.
Karen
http://pieces-and-plenty.blogspot.com/

jovaliquilts said...

It's a terrific quilt, well worth the paper removal effort. The border is perfect!