Saturday, August 9, 2008

Home Again!

We had a great time!!! I will admit, I didn't sleep as much as I should have, but each moment was well spent. Regardless of whether we were eating, resting, sewing, laughing, talking, walking the beach collecting shells, or just sitting outside enjoying the cool Gulf breeze, the trip was a wonderful memory I will cherish forever.

The house was so nice. I had no idea that it would be so pretty and comfortable. The decor was beautiful! The kitchen was well stocked and so clean. It was really so sweet of the family to share their lovely home with us! Since it is a vacation home, I'm hoping we can take another vacation there again to rest and sew.





















I did get about 20 more Off Centered Log Cabin blocks made and another 6 or 7 Double Four Patch blocks hand pieced. We were able to discuss organizing scraps and even did some sample sorting. I think one friend learned quite a bit about value.....which is SOOOO important in scrap quilting.

One night we played Scrabble and I am still shocked to report that I won! Two of the ladies who went to the retreat are well known Scrabble contenders in our circle. We also played Bible Pictionary, which is a difficult take on a fun game! Thanks Valerie for being a great partner...without your great talent, we never would have won so decisively!












I think the thing we will cherish most was the walk on the beach. We were all alone, other than one elderly couple watching their 3 year old granddaughter playing along the edge of the water. As I watched my friends walk along the water's edge, I imagined them as young girls. That is how my dear friends appeared to me that day. They seemed to be girls walking along without a care or worry. We were able to enjoy the simple pleasure of finding unique shells and driftwood, and then to enjoy the pleasure of sharing them with friends. Each shell admired for it's simple beauty. We stood shoulder to shoulder, our feet being washed with the salty water and together, we admired the beauty of God's creation. The soft breeze seemed to bring a cleansing to my heart and a reminder to take time to reflect. Thank you, ladies, for the great time together at the beach.

I did come home a bit tired and took a nap, but today, I'm feeling rested. I left the retreat with a renewed love of quilting. I can't wait to get back to the machine and start sewing up more Off Centered Log Cabin blocks. Several blocks will hold special memories of our time on the coast! I can't wait to see the completed quilt someday!

Happy Quilting!!!!

7 comments:

Marilyn Robertson said...

Getting to go on a quilt retreat with good friends is such a treat. Being able to share a walk along a beach is a double treat! Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Sweet P said...

What a wonderful experience. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Fabricmom said...

It sounds like you had a fabulous time. Good for you. We all need down time.

Catty Wampus said...

Looks like you had fun and beautiful weather; I love your quilts. Merrie

Cathi said...

Looks like you had an amazing retreat! Walking along a beach is so good for us all!

Sara said...

Glad you had such a great time! Its so nice to get away! Love the pictures, especially of the beach!

Erin Wychopen said...

MAMA, I love this post!!!! It was so fun to read and so beautifully done...I loved the part about your walks on the beach, what an amazing way to see it all. *sigh* I could almost see you all as little girls...I hope someday when I'm a wife and Mother, I can go somewhere like that with my friends and remember and make new memories too. :-) I'm SO glad you got to go!!!!!! You deserved a break!!!!!! Love you!!!!!! ::HUG::