Thursday, March 31, 2011

More quilting....

Still working away on the Red Strings Quilt. I'm just four blocks away from being 3/4 done with the quilting. Sound confusing??? Not for me, it keeps me motivated. Once I finish quilting the last four blocks on this row I'm working on, I'll have the last 1/4 of the quilt left to quilt! Woo hoo!

I did slow down yesterday and let my hand rest. Who knew I had a thumb muscle?? It's the muscle right between your wrist and your thumb. Yep. It hurts. But I'm still quilting a bit here and there.

And, I've decided on the next quilt to start quilting. It's one of the ones in my side bar, there on the right, toward the bottom. I'm not telling which one, yet. I looked in my stash yesterday for some backing fabric and realized I didn't have enough fabric for an appropriate backing. Lots of yard cuts or half yard cuts, but I don't want to completely piece the back of this one too. I wanted either one piece of fabric or maybe two.

I drove to a local quilt shop and looked around for a bit. Didn't find anything I loved for the backing. Silly me. But, since I was there, and she had been so nice to let me wander her lovely shop, I HAD to purchase something. Right?? I picked up these three 1/2 yard cuts of fabric, from the clearance room. Love little bits and pieces to add to my scrap containers. Oh. Wait. I have an entire bucket of fabric that needs to be cut up!! What have I done??? LOL



Neither picture looks "just right" but you get the idea. Oh, and I got 1 1/2 yards of fabric for $9. Pretty happy about that. :)

As for the backing for my next quilt, I decided I would look online. Since I make mostly scrap quilts, I don't have to "match" anything perfectly. So shopping online is really pretty easy for me. I found just what I needed and it was on sale. Woo hoo! And, it's already shipped, so it should be here soon.

Happy Quilting!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

WhiteStone said...

I've found incredible 80% off bargains at the bedding section of our big name dept store. Name-brand soft cotton sheets (not stiff like older percale) that lends itself well to quilt backings. Just a thought for you to consider. One king size sheet has provided for three quilts (all twin or nap size). Had to piece the last one, tho.

I did the same with a very smooth, soft, cotton duvet cover. TWO pieces of fabric.

Anonymous said...

Oh yay for a good deal! I was able to get some dragon patterned material for my son for $6 a yard. Thrilled about that!

trish said...

Those are pretty scraps for you scrap quilt. :o) There is just something that draws me to scrap quilts. :o)
Have a nice weekend.
Sincerely, Trish