Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Blogger and Word Verification

Read to the end to see the pattern I ordered today!!

Mrs. Noodles posted today about Blogger issues. I rarely have issues with Blogger, but it got me to thinking....

I set my blog up to allow only registered users to comment. Then, I decided that I needed to have word verification to prevent spam comments. And, lastly, I moderate my comments. In other words, when you leave a comment, I reserve the right to delete it. My reason for that was so that no one could leave ugly comments or language that I personally find offensive. I don't think quilting should lead any of us to be mean or ugly, unless I write something argumentative and mean, giving you reason to lash back. And, really, I try to avoid contention in my posts and in my comments on other's blogs.

Since I started blogging in November 2007, I have only deleted a few comments and they were because they were duplicate comments. You know how sometimes you aren't sure if you clicked to leave the comment or hit preview or the computer is taking too long and just out of frustration, you click it twice. Yeah, I delete those duplicates. I don't want people thinking I have readers who are impatient!! LOL

I've never gotten an ugly comment or language that I've found offensive. I'm so grateful that the people who read my blog are wonderful, kind and encouraging!! Thank you all!

But, I do realize that if you visit a lot of blogs, commenting can get annoying - having to jump through all the hoops!! So, I decided to make a few changes to see if I could make it easier for my readers to comment.

Because I left the moderation on, I have allowed anonymous comments. If you say something ugly, and can't own up to it, I'm certainly not going to publish it. And, I've also turned off the word verification. I realize I may live to regret this one when I get dozens, perhaps hundreds of spam comments! But, I'll chance it. I'll be moderating anyway.....we'll see how long this one lasts!!

Hopefully, these changes will make it easier for you to leave comments.

Finally, because no post is really fun without talking about quilting....here is what I ordered today. I put the quilty blame on Chris at Cats On My Quilts! She is making this quilt and I fell in quilty love and within 3 minutes, I had it ordered and on it's way. I just got the pattern, I've got loads of fabric. I may make it the same colors.....and I may go completely scrappy!!! I ordered it from Country Threads. Click the link to see their completed quilt!! It's sooo pretty.


Happy Commenting and Quilting!!!!

11 comments:

Millie said...

Paula, this is so easy to make a comment. I have to try it too.

Quilts And Pieces said...

I"ll be curious to see how this works for you! I don't have the moderation on, but that is why I don't allow anom comments and do the verification. So I"ll be interested to see if you notice a difference!

Pamela Kieffer said...

I think this is a great idea. I quite often have trouble leaving comments because I don't know exactly what my username is. Is it my email address?
Now if p bloggers would just eliminate music. Pam K.

Unknown said...

Oh I love the pattern you purchased, such warm colours and such a stunning layout.

Cathi said...

I love how your blog looks! The pattern you ordered is fabulous -- looks like lots of lovely fun piecing. :-)

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

I think it is hilarious that you ordered that quilt after seeing it on my blog. I was the same way after seeing it in the magazine-I couldn't get my charge card out fast enough! I guess I'll have to start a support group!

Libby said...

That's going to be one beauty of a quilt!

Sara said...

I always wondered what others did about commenting. Most still have word verification, but some don't. Let me know how this works out!

Jackie's Stitches said...

What a gorgeous quilt! Looking forward to seeing yours!

*karendianne. said...

I read this yesterday and forgot to comment. I like the way you shared your experience with commenting and how you chose to manage it.

Bonus on the pattern! ;>

Sweet P said...

I don't use word verification or moderate my comments. I can't think of one comment that was offensive or spam. I hope you have continued luck with your comments as well.

Have fun with the new quilt pattern. I'm sure it will be fun to make.