Saturday, November 24, 2007

Depression Blocks

It felt so good today to pull the house back together after all the rearranging of furniture to fit more tables and more family members for Thanksgiving. We had a great time. All the ladies got in the kitchen and pitched in and we got dinner ready in record time. Of course, it helped that Dear Mother had done so much the day before. Like shucking the corn and cutting it off the cob. Dear Niece and Dear Young Daughter snapped the green beans. Dear Older Daughter made two pies and I made a few dishes myself. Everything was delicious and the family time was even better. I have an amazing family!

I'm really glad to have my sewing area put back together. As I set the machine back on the table I felt inspired to pull another UFO (unfinished object) out of the cabinet. I already had 19 blocks completed and worked until I completed a total of 25. Now that they are all out on the floor, I'm thinking I need to make several more. This just won't be big enough for a queen sized bed, and that's my goal for all these scrap/stashbusting quilts. As I stated in an earlier post, the children, their future spouses and all my future grandchildren will need quilts! And they will want quilts to put on their beds, I'm sure! I better get busy.... I am really enjoying making quilts from my stash and from my baskets of strips, etc.

I found this Depression Block online where so many others get inspiration! Marcia's website is full of ideas just waiting to be created! I decided that I would use my 4 inch strip basket to make these blocks. Once the HST (half square triangle) is made, I just trim them down to 3 1/2 inches and make the blocks. I have decided that since I'm not the most accurate piecer in the world, I'd rather make them too big and cut them down than fret the entire time I'm sewing that they will be too small. Anything that makes me enjoy quilting more and stress out less..... I'm for it!



Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Now, on to the Christmas rush! LOL

No comments: